Job Title: Landscape Horticultural Meadows Technician
Responsible To : Production Manager
Responsible For: Green Estate staff and volunteers
Starting Salary: £22,484 p.a.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Organisation: The Green Estate CIC + Pictorial Meadows Ltd
Would you like to become part of an innovative and collaborative organisation working to establish and manage urban meadows, green roofs and rain gardens? If you are looking for a rewarding role in the landscape industry and have a special interest in naturalistic planting and landscape management then this vacancy could be just for you.
You will have an excellent landscape background, great communication skills, a desire to combine practical hands on work with product and service development. You will thrive in a hard working but creative environment with likeminded colleagues. You will be a real Team Player, enjoy diversity in what you do, be great at supporting others but also comfortable to take the lead as our business and your specialist skills and knowledge develops.
In return we can offer you a friendly and supportive working environment working within a unique and diverse organisation. As a key member of our team, we will help you to develop your skills so that you can take a lead role in seeing our business grow and our products excel. We support flexible working practices, offer 31 days annual leave pro rata, a company sick pay scheme, company life assurance and a great working environment at our beautiful Manor Lodge site close to Sheffield City Centre. This is a Monday to Friday post with very occasional evenings and weekends sometimes required for which TOIL is available.
Please read through the job description and person specification below and if this sounds like you, we definitely want to hear from you!
Please submit a CV to apply
Closing date: 26/04/2022
Interview date: To be confirmed
For further details on all our job opportunities and/or an application pack please contact: by phone 01142 322 556
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
As a customer facing Landscape Meadows Technician you will form part of the meadow products and services team and be responsible for the establishment, maintenance, and delivery of high-quality meadows including green roofs and Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SuDS) across the UK and occasionally into Europe. You will provide specialist knowledge and expertise along with excellent customer service to ensure our customers are able to achieve meadows that are right for them.
1. Responsible for the practical delivery, establishment, and maintenance of meadow planting contracts including green roofs and SuDS
2. Responsible for reviewing an updating information to the green roof centre website
3. Responsible for dealing with customer enquiries and recording data on the Customer Service Management system
4. Responsible for customer site visits to carry out survey work, provide advice on meadow establishment and maintenance
5. Responsible for preparing customer reports on meadow design, establishment, timescales, maintenance, and cost
6. Assist in setting an agreed work programme, ensuring that all work is prioritised according to need
7. Assist with R&D work relating to meadows
8. Responsible for the use of machinery and equipment including the upkeep in a good and safe working order, stored safely and securely
9.Responsible for performance management of staff as required
10. To operate machinery and equipment as required particularly tractors and mounted equipment (following certification and induction)
11. Working at heights as required for green roof meadow installation and maintenance
12. Driving vehicles and towing trailers across the UK including loading and unloading
13. Report writing using Microsoft office software
14. Provide regular Health and Safety check sheets and COSHH reports, log issues using computer software and phone apps
15. Carry out plant establishment and maintenance tasks including use of pesticides
16. Provide a reliable presence in the workplace, setting good examples of punctuality, behaviour, work ethic, and adherence to company policies and procedures.
17. To motivate and ensure the staff are ready for work and to leave the yard by 8:00 am ensuring there is a full day’s work and that staff do not exceed their allocated break times.
18. Positively seek to do things better, identify and lead on opportunities, challenges and changes to improve the way we work.
19. To be flexible in your approach to work, to work effectively and positively with multi- agency teams and solve rather than create problems
20. Work effectively with good clear communication to the meadow services team, the Landscape Managers, Business Services Office and other internal staff and customers to ensure that all works can be delivered safely, to schedule, on time and to a high quality
Customer Service & Working Relationships
21. To attend and contribute to all team meetings and feed information into meetings
22. Maintain positive internal and external relationships with all colleagues, customers and the general public
23. Support colleagues in other sections of the company through good communication, understanding of the differing roles that they play and through mutual promotion of their services.
24. Contribute actively to the success of the Commercial Landscape Business Section and the whole Company through active participation in continuous improvement, with provision of specialist advice where needed.
25. Undertake any other duties, as requested by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level of responsibility of the job and the aims of Green Estate CIC
- RHS or environmental qualification to degree level or equivalent in a Landscape or Horticultural subject.
- Wide practical horticultural and landscape experience.
- Good plant knowledge and a strong interest in plants, their growth, and characteristics.
- Experience of building positive customer and supplier relations.
- Must be able to lead by example, be “hands-on”, practical, and self-motivated.
- Good technical skills and an ability to develop and manage systematic process
- Meticulous and highly organize
- Highly numerate and good data management skills.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent IT skills especially excel and word.
- Versatile and Adaptable.
- Self-motivated and ambitious.
- Thriving in a team environment and ability to work alone.
- A clear commitment to working for our values and purpose as a Community Interest Company.
- A strong interest in career development under the Pictorial Meadows brand within and Green Estate.
- Full driving license.
- Commercial Horticultural experience.
- A science orientated background.
- Entrepreneurial interests.
- Warehouse management.
- Familiarization with Sage Financial systems
- Some experience and confidence with use of social media, PR, public speaking at Trade Shows etc.